Healthcare Foundation of Wilson Surpasses $36 Million in Total Funding
Thirteen New Responsive Grants Awarded for the Greater Wilson Community
WILSON, N.C. (July 12, 2021) – With the recent approval of 13 new responsive grant awards for 2021, Healthcare Foundation of Wilson’s investments in collaborative health and wellness initiatives in the Greater Wilson Community has reached more than $36 million in funding support for the local community since the establishment of the foundation.
Since 2014 Healthcare Foundation of Wilson has been committed to providing funding support for essential and strategic projects that improve the health and well-being of the people of greater Wilson. Funding has been provided to our community through four different avenues:
Responsive Grant Funding – $6.35 million
Strategic Grant Funding -$5.9 million – Funding allocated to date for the Middle School Afterschool program and new YMCA facility. An additional $17 million in future funding has been approved for the initiative.
Restricted Funding – $626,992
Hospital Support -$23.56 million
Responsive grants and strategic funding support the Wilson community’s work to address adolescent pregnancy, alcohol and substance abuse, obesity, and sexually transmitted diseases (STDs). Restricted funding provides support through donated funds that are designated in specific areas of healthcare, and the hospital support has provided funding for construction and upgrades to the local hospital.
The 13 new responsive grant awards for 2021, which total $821,300, are to support nonprofit sustainable solutions and measurable outcomes related to one or more of the foundation’s four focus areas.
Responsive Grant Funding for 2021:
- Love A Sea Turtle – $15,000 – Wilson on Wheels (WOW) with The SPOT
- Opportunities Industrialization Center of Wilson (OIC) – $65,000 – Health Screenings
- Town of Stantonsburg – $65,000 – Walking Trail Improvements
- Wilson County Department of Social Services – $50,000 – Eat Smart Move More
- Wilson County Department of Social Services – $20,000 – Making Proud Choices
- Wilson County Health Department – $214,000 – WASH
- Wilson County Health Department – $10,000 – LARCs
- Wilson County Schools – $90,000 – Speight Middle School
- Wilson County Schools – $7,500 – MATCH Wellness
- Wilson County Substance Prevention Coalition – $12,000 – Hope Alliance
- Wilson Parks and Recreation – $8,000 – Fitness Fun for the Intellectually Disabled
- Wilson Parks and Recreation – $130,000 – Miracle Field
- Wilson Youth United (The SPOT) – $134,800 – Move My Classroom
“As Healthcare Foundation of Wilson increases it’s investments in vision-driven, strategic funding initiatives, we remain committed to providing these annual, responsive grants for sustainable projects that focus on rising concerns and current needs to improve the health and wellness of the greater Wilson community,” said Denise O’Hara, executive director of Healthcare Foundation of Wilson.
Learn more about the 2021 Responsive Grant Awards.